Withdrawals


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Jesus, this is boring.

So, I've dropped $50k on a remedial MS Word and Excel class. Really, folks, I don't need the refresher course. In fact, I could teach this class. And on most nights, I do wander around the classroom helping the less experienced.

Our focus thus far has been on resume design, which has been helpful, being that I have no restaurant experience to speak of. It's not easy spinning webs of adjectives on a 6-month career in the kitchen; you have to be inventive.

I did get a brief tour 350 Rhode Island, which is CCA's new restaurant scheduled to open in October. At this point, it appears we'll be doing our garde manger ii and restaurant production classes there, which is good. The North Campus facility, The Careme Room, is nice, but it's old. The facilities and equipment are old. Breaking in a gleaming new kitchen with 24 of my best friends will be fun.

Here's a demonstration of irony: I attend a top-five culinary school. I am being trained to be a top-five chef.I prepare classic French dishes. With the regular garde manger buffet being taken away as part of recent budget cuts, the student dining facility is usually the only place to eat, especially now that I am not cooking in class. What's the menu like, you ask? Assemble yourself sandwich bar replete with processed, store-bought bread and lunch meat, tomatoes, processed cheese and shredded lettuce. Mayo and mustard? Please note the little packets at the end of the line. Not to be out done however is the boiled hotdogs and chili, with or without beans. There is generally fruit as well. Oh, and a mixed green salad. That's it. $50k. I long for the days when we wandered down a 50 foot buffet line that had classics like chicken cacciatore, homestyle meatloaf, top round roast, pork tenderloin cutlets, pastas, exotic salads, and never the same spread twice. This stuff they put out now is SHIT.


    Image hosting by Photobucket

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3