4 Months In


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



9 months to go, here's where we are.

According to CCA, I have been baptized into the culinary profession. I know enough about the simple things, the classics, food science, nutrition, et al. I know enough to know I know nothing.

I know sauces. From a classical standpoint, I know what goes with what and I know how to get it there via what cooking methods. Really, I know nothing.

I know doughs. I can combine and mix different types of doughs depending on what the finished product should be. Really, I know nothing.

I know meat, poultry and fish. I know muscle groups and cooking methods and I can take a 25 pound chunk of whatever you got and turn it into tasty 4oz portions. Really, I know nothing.

I know utilization. Turn me loose on any combination of goods you have on hand and I can make something edible out of it. Really, I know nothing.

I know safety. Temps and holding times? Flow of food from back door to table? Got it. Really, I know nothing.

I know at least something about gelatin, flour, eggs, protein, sugars, sanitization, stain removal, first aid, insomnia, mild depression, subtle euphoria, a social circle clad entirely in white, blade sharpening and heat.

I know Temple Bar. I know I can outdo many of my classmates at Temple Bar. In that respect, I know it all.

Next week we begin the first contemporary cuisine class, which is a lot of principle and theory, not a lot of active cooking. This is a stretch for us in which cooking is about planning rather than execution. The next time we pick up knives with any regularity, under any sort of duress, will be advanced garde manger, which is so far down the road as to be a tiny speck on a clean horizon of old fashioned book learnin'.

I'm already thinking about my externship possibilties, and idly investigating post-grad culinary management programs around the country. CIA is looking pretty sharp, and one cannot pull down a more prestigious degree than a CIA degree. But you have to pay big for that piece of paper. The New England Culinary Institute is highly regarded as well. I can seemlessly transfer my CCA units to the Scottsdale Culinary Institute, as it's a sister-school of sorts. Austin has a good program for post-grads, too. There are a lot of options. Then again, I'll have a six month grace period before I have to start paying off my loans. Whatever I do, I'll be working full time through it all.


    Image hosting by Photobucket

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3