Then again, I'm 32, so big friggin deal - it's all been done.
So, it was a relatively slow night, even for the leisurely pace of contemporary cuisine, so a few of us spent much of the class drinking beer out of paper cups. I'm sure Chef realised it - none of us were exactly hiding it - but he didn't say anything. At least we didn't go for the bourbon.
Meanwhile, I needed some otherwise unavailable canned and fresh tomatoes for a red pepper and tomato soup I'm doing tomorrow, so I snuck into the student dining kitchen (off limits) and stole what I needed.
Other than that, it was a swell night in contemporary cuisine. Group 4 did their menu today, a heart-healthy picnic theme, which included the best coleslaw I've ever tasted. I plated up baked "fried" chicken crusted with panko, corn meal, mustard, chili powder and parmesan. It was fine, and all seemed to like it.
I get an out loud, to the class, verbal nod from Chef on my plating every night now, so I appear to have some serious skills in that department. As a whole, the class plates like a top quality establishment. We definitely have some talented rookie chefs. The food we've put out this week, on our own menus, has been fantastic as well. Tuesday was the best, but my group's menu isn't until tomorrow, so...
Here's the menu:
Baby Spinach with Melon Carpaccio
Green Bean Salad with Spicy Walnuts
Spicy Tomato and Red Pepper Soup with Garlic Crostini
Turkey and Tomatillo Chili
Ratatouille with Roasted Garlic and Basil Polenta Cakes
Panko Crusted Halibut with Lime Beurre Blanc
Garlic Chicken with Cilantro
Fruit Parfait with Cinnamon Crème Fraiche
Lime and Pineapple Granita