Waiting


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Waiting for the hollandaise moment...

Just a quick note for today-

Back at CCA, which feels a lifetime ago, though it is less than a month since I completed courses there, it wasn't until the hollandaise that I caught my stride and my confidence started to really pick up steam. I find myself waiting for that hollandaise to reveal itself at 17, pushing to find that one dish or idea that turns my chef from skeptic to believer, so I can jump on the 17 hotline.
It's eluding me so far. I have a chance everyday with the amuse bouche, the occasional soup, but I'm too dogged by my daily mis en place and service time to spend any extra time or energy on making a single spoonful of anything a dramatic, career-altering performance.

The trouble is two things: 1) everything we cook ahead of time, the sauces, etc., is from a strict recipe. Chef has developed these dishes and he wants them recreated as he envisioned them every single time. That, I understand. 2) as I have for most if not all of my life, I'm pinning my own worth on the critical analysis of someone else (I'll save the in-depth pop-psych decontruction for another time). This has good and bad side effects, depending on the situation. That, I have to get over.

Yesterday was the busiest day I've faced at 17. My mis en place was short, as I didn't expect to get hit that hard, despite it being a Friday. I'm still working out quantities of production for given nights. Nonetheless, I hung tough, even though I had to do things like supreme grapefruits and brunoise tomatoes on the fly. A few of my tickets went out three or four minutes beyond the deadline, but I made it though without blowing anything too drastically. I'm a hell of a lot faster than I was a week ago.

This profession is hard on the body. After a tough shift, I walk out feeling almost dizzy from fatigue, at least for a minute or two. Man, I gotta start working out.


    Image hosting by Photobucket

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3