It's All Been Done


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



There is nothing new in the culinary world, ever.

So last night I am knocking around in my kitchen. Bored, burning off the last two weeks with the help of beer and cigarettes, Goodfellas rolling on TV. It was nice. There's not a lot of food in the house, but I was hungry. I dig through the fridge, find some gruyere that I had shredded a few days prior. Then of course, there was the beer, which is a homemade Liberty Ale that came out a little on the sweet side (the sugars didn't convert properly on the second fermentation). Then i have some small red potatoes laying around.

Okay, fine, I can pull this off. Cheese, beer and potatoes? No sweat. Sounds like dinner.

So I minced a few cloves of garlic, throw it in a snappy new sauce pan Ma got me for the birthday that just passed. I pour in half a beer and bring it to a simmer. Then I stir in the cheese, a little course ground mustard, some sage and thyme. It's a mixture than has the texture of a light creamy soup, not quite a sauce. Okay, potatoes. Well, little red potatoes cook in a flash, so I figure I can essentially poach the potatoes in the beer and cheese, and the relesed starch will thicken the soup into a sauce. About 15 minutes later the potatoes were ready, but I had to thicken with a beurre manier, which is a sort of dry roux you make in your hand with equal parts butter and flour. And it tastes really good. Very rich. Very French. Really, really good. I mean crazy good.

And I'm thinking to myself, I've never heard of this. I'm a genius. I've developed a totally new way of cooking little red potatoes in beer and cheese. Really, the inspiration came from fondue, but good artists borrow, great artists steal - so whatever, babe. I'm giving this confection a snappy French name, pommes gruyere confit au bier, considering what I'll do with the James Beard awards, etc.

Just to be sure I am in fact a genius, I Google 'potatoes cheese beer'.

I made a goddamn soup that people have apparently been making for about 500 years. The only thing I did differently was thicken the mixture down to make a sauce of it, and likely some other jackass has thought of that - I mean, really, what is a sauce but a thickened soup? Big deal. Say it with a French accent if you like. It's still a good recipe, and history backs that up. Serve it up with a roast game bird and you're set. Hit it with a dash of worcestershire and serve it with a beef or lamb roast and you got something.

Now, a gasoline confit of iPod thief, that'd be a good trick.

Did I tell you I invented cereal? I also invented hamburgers, milk, pasta and cookies. I invented the internet, God and cars. I built the first rocket, made the moon it landed on and coached astronauts on catch phrases that would stick. Theory of relativity? All me.


    Image hosting by Photobucket

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3