What I did with the last two weeks.
But first an open letter to all CCA students:
Dear CCA students,
Fuck you for stealing my iPod. I should be able to leave my jacket in the fucking library unattended for 2 hours without fear of losing property. Hey, I know I shouldn't have left it in there, but c'mon, that doesn't validate robbery, fucker. While I try to get over it, I'll keep myself warm knowing that for many of you - and I mean MANY of you - a contraband iPod is all you'll ever fucking get out of the deal while I cook fucking circles around your sorry ass for the rest of your unnoticed and ultimately useless fucking life.
Love,
Mike
Okay, back to scheduled programming. Culinary management definitely served to separate the educational haves from have-nots (read: iPod thieves). Designing a restaurant in two weeks, which required a 70 page plan, was not an easy task for any of us. I drew a solid team, but the work was brutal. I've been essentially incommunicado for the entire two week period costing recipes, writing SWOTs, mission statements (which I truly believe amount to corporate masturbation, no question), designing kitchen layouts, et al. Crazy. 70-odd pages of crazy.
Were it not for at least some experience writing reports, decrypting nearly worthless data and writing proposals, I'd have been in a lot of trouble. That CCA thinks two weeks is enough of a crash course in opening a restaurant concerns me. I'll end up with an A, sure, but I know a few people in my class that didn't have a chance.
Chef Lev treats us as adults, which I appreciate, but that leaves out the handholding that a number of kids in class could use. I've said it before, this is a trade school (for iPod thieves, apparently).
La Forchetta Bistro is the place, situated in the Upper Market section of this horrible City. It's a upscale casual establishment serving simple, rustic, provincial Italian fare. We didn't go fine dining with a tasting menu and elaborate wine pairing. We wanted simple food prepared well. Comforting flavors and textures. Your foie gras stuffed quail with confit of fingerling potatoes and blue corn succotash will have to wait for the Banquets and Catering class later on. la Forchetta, Italian for fork, makes a tidy profit, nothing special, but pays its employees better than the average. Sing it with me, 'You may say that I'm a dreamer - hey, is that Mark David Chapman over there?'
Anyway, the presentation went off like a champ. I've been comfortable speaking in fornt of crowds for sometime, but I've really honed it with all the presentations at CCA. Lots of talking, lots of instructing, lots of yelling. At any rate, if you have $750k laying around, I have a restaurant concept that is guaranteed to possibly maybe make you money or not.
Next week is wine. Great. iPod-less wine.